Rocktown Cyclocross Festival
Date: October 16, 2016
The Rocktown Cyclocross Festival is a fun/fast course in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley in Harrisonburg, VA. We here at Rocktown Bicycles have put on this race every year since 2011. It has always been a great event for racers, friends, and family members. Whether you want to race or you just want to spectate we would love to see you out there this year!
The Rocktown Cyclocross festival Course is a fast fun course with plenty of steep uphill sections, flat power sections, quick turns, fast downhill sweeping turns, and of course barriers! Take a look at the Strava segment for a better idea of how the course is set up and about how long it takes to do a lap.
How to Get Involved
Anyone from children just learning to ride bicycles to professional road racers who have raced in grand tours have participated in our race here in Harrisonburg. You will fit right in no matter what your experience level is. Bring family, friends, or other racers and check out our race and the surrounding beautiful area. If you have any questions about the race or you would like to sign up follow the link below to bikereg!
If you aren't quite up to racing, but you would still like to be a part of the event feel free to contact us about volunteering. We need people to help set up and tear down the course every year. We also offer discounted race entries and free food to a handful of helper every year, but spots are limited so get in touch with us using one of the methods on our contact page using the link below!
On Site Activities
Free Kids Race
The kids race is totally free and it is the perfect opportunity to get your kid involved in the amazing sport of cycling. It is short and not too difficult, but the kids love the competition and it is a blast to watch!
Real Liège Style Belgian Waffles
I learned to love authentic Belgian Liège style waffles after traveling to Belgium with the USA mountain bike team to race the international world cup circuit. After getting back from my travels I wanted to recreat the Belgian waffles I had in Belgium. I had a good amount of success, but I really needed a cast iron waffle maker in order to get the proper finish. After giving it a little thought I decided to buy a real waffle maker and start selling my waffles at the local farmers market. I had a ton of fun at the market and met all kinds of people . I perfected my recipe at the farmers market and now I get to bring it to the cross race to finish out the authentic Belgian race experience!
After your kids have finished the free kids race they can expend any extra energy on the playground located right in one of the best spectating spots on the entire course. Hopefully they will be tired enough to sleep all the way home!
305 S Dogwood Dr
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
From Washington DC (simplest route, fastest):
- Take 66 West
- Merge onto I-81 South
- Take Exit 247 B for Route 33 West
- Merge onto 33 West and follow for 1.4 miles.
- You will hit Court Square in downtown Harrisonburg.
- Loop around Court Square to to stay on 33 West for .7 miles.
- Left at S Dogwood.
- Destination on right.
Our Favorite Photos
Other local activities
Downtown Harrisonburg has been growing and growing due to the help of the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and is one of the best up and coming downtown districts in Virginia. There are dozens of great restaurants in the downtown area(see the list to the right for our top picks).
There are also a bunch of great bike shops, coffee shops, outdoor stores, boutique clothing stores, and fun events to check out throughout the year.
Our Favorite Restaurants
- Capital Ale House: An excellent variety of beer on tap and good food $$
- Clementine Cafe: Good food and great environment including bands $$
- Areperas Las Chamas: The Best Caribbean food in Downtown $
- The Local Chop and Grill House: An excellent bar and restaurant that uses local and organic ingredients to create high quality food $$$
- Jack Browns: A burger and beer joint with a very large beer selection and crazy burgers $
- Billy Jacks: Burger joint with a changing beer selection. Great place to try new beers! $
- Food Bar Food: Comfort food from all around the world $$
- Cuban Burger: Authentic Cuban style burgers and meals with a full bar $$
- Bella Luna: Great wood fired pizza and homemade pasta with a great beer selection $$
- Ruby's Arcade: A classic arcade with wood fired pizza and BBQ $
- Heritage Bakery and Cafe: Small bakery with excellent treats, breakfast, and lunch food $$
Skyline Drive is a beautiful winding road through the mountains of central Virginia. It is part of the Shenandoah National Park and attracts tourists from all over. It is only a short drive from Harrisonburg and will be in peak color right around the time of the 2016 Rocktown Cyclocross Festival! Check out their page for more info about hikes, camping, and other activities you can do up on Skyline Drive: